This casserole is smoky, sweet and filling. If you cook the sweet potatoes in advance, it’s ready to bake in just 15 minutes.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 28-oz can salt-free diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 5 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, steamed or boiled
- nutritional yeast (optional)
In a large pot, cook onion and peppers on medium heat for 5 minutes, adding a splash of water if it starts to stick. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375. Place the beans in a large bowl and lightly mash with a potato masher. Add them to the pot along with tomatoes, spices and liquid smoke. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook another 8-10 minutes uncovered. Remove from heat and transfer to a 9″ x 13″ pan. Spread sweet potatoes over top and sprinkle with nutritional yeast if desired. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.