Nothing beats lentil soup on a grey day in January.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups dry green lentils
- 7 cups water
- 3 cups chopped kale or collards
In a large pot on medium heat, cook onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots and celery for 8-10 minutes, adding a splash of water if necessary. Add potatoes, spices, tomato paste, lentils and water. Increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Remove from heat, add greens and replace cover. Let sit for 5 minutes so the greens can soften. Serves 5.