White beans and fennel seed add a new slant to this classic French dish.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper, any colour
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 19-oz can (2 cups) salt-free white beans, drained
- 28-oz can salt-free diced tomatoes
In a large pot on medium heat, cook onion, garlic and bell peppers for 5 minutes. Add spices, eggplant and zucchini and cook another 8-10 minutes, adding a splash of water if necessary to prevent sticking.
Stir in tomato paste, beans and tomatoes and increase heat. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with brown rice or another whole grain. Serves 4-5.